Subject:Short-eared Owl, etc
From:Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:27:01 -0600

Found a Short-eared Owl hunting late this afternoon in Swift County.  We last saw it moving east a half mile south of county Road 28 on County Rd 31.  This is just south of Swift Falls in northeastern Swift county.  The bird was originally spotted a half mile west of here when it flew over our car as we were looking for Gray Partridge.  This area of Swift County has a lot of grasslands and WMA's, etc.  It certainly is a lot of fun to watch a short-eared hunt when there is a fair amount of daylight.

Other birds also seen today include a  Merlin in Benson (Swift County) and the Varied Thrush in Alexandria (Douglas County.)

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmartin@skypoint.com