Subject:Sax Zim Bog: February 27
From:Debbie Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:19:24 -0600

Hi all,

We had our annual "Hawk Ridgers" birding trip to the Sax Zim Bog today.  We
were surprised that on such a beautiful Saturday, we only ran into a handful
of other birders.

Here's a partial list for our day of casual birding:

--Golden Eagle (1 ADULT seen soaring over Blue Spruce great looks)

--Northern Hawk Owls (5)

--Gray Jays (many; one on McDavitt Rd seen collecting nesting material and
caching it)

--Common Redpolls

--Pine Siskins

--American Goldfinches

--Boreal Chickadees (3.2 at Admiral Rd station and 1 at the feeding station
on Arkola Rd)

--Pine Grosbeaks

--Northern Shrike (1)

Notably absent were White-winged Crossbill, Black-backed Woodpecker
(although we didn't really TRY for BBWO) and Great Gray Owl.

We tried for Black-billed Magpies at the sheep carcass on N. Dart Rd, but
found zero.

Good birding!

Debbie Waters

Education Director

Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory

P.O. Box 3006

Duluth, MN 55803-3006

 <> Donate to support our
Raptors in the Classroom program. We need your help!

"I'm an early bird and I'm a night owl, so I'm wise and I have worms."
                                                               - Michael
Scott, The Office