Subject:2nd try! - Photo Website Update
From:Linda Krueger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:19:32 -0600

(Sorry - I just sent the email below but found out the formatting got messed
up - not sure why or how.  So, I am resending the email with the correct
formatting - hopefully!)

Hi everyone!  Kevin and myself spent a couple of weeks last month photograph
birds along the Gulf Coast of Texas and in the Rio Grande Valley area.  We
got forty Life Birds (birds we had never seen before) on this trip!!  Two
"finds" were really exciting, the Rose-throated Becard, and the
Bare-throated Tiger Heron (found at the Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State
Park).  This was the first report of this Heron in the United States ever
and we just happened to be there!

One of the places we went to was the Martin Refuge in Edinburg, Texas (thank
you Terence Brashear for telling us about this place!).  This refuge is a
ranch owned by John and Audrey Martin that has eight blinds for
photographing birds from.  Some of these blinds are built into the ground so
that you are photographing at eye level to the birds!  The Bird Guide there,
Patty Raney, is wonderful and teaches you not only about the birds in that
region, but about the flora etc. on the ranch.  She was wonderful.  ).
There can also be wildlife coming into view to photograph.  While we were
there, Javelinas (20 at a time!) came!  We'd highly recommend a visit to
this refuge (you need reservations, go to www.martinrefuge.com, if you are
interested in learning more

If interested, go to www.FlightOfNature.com and click on "New Photos" to see
the following birds that were photographed during this trip:

Altamira Oriole
American Avocet
American Coot
Bare-throated Tiger Heron
Belted Kingfisher
Black-bellied Plover
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Black-crested Titmouse
Black-necked  Stilt
Blue-winged Teal
Brewer's Blackbird
Buff-bellied Hummingbird
Carolina Wren
Clay-colored Robin
Common Ground Dove
Crested Caracara
Curve-billed Thrasher
Dunlin
Eared Grebe
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Towhee
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Forster's Tern
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Great Blue Heron
Great Kiskadee
Greater White-fronted Goose
Greater Yellowlegs
Great-tailed Grackle
Green Jay
Green-winged Teal
Harris's Hawk
Hermit Thrush
Herring Gull
House Sparrow
Inca Dove
Indigo Bunting
Javalina (this is not a bird!  It can be viewed under "Wildlife")
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Least Grebe
Lesser Goldfinch
Lincoln's Sparrow