Subject:What Makes One Bird More Special Than Another?
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:58:16 -0600

Saturdays' Great Gray Owl - as well as the much more common Gray Jays -
stuck with me through today.

The Great Gray was due to its absence/rarity, 13 months since my last
sighting, and at least a couple of years since I last had one on Aitkin 18
(which I visit nearly monthly).  Its "presence" (size, face/eyes,
coloration, silence, jizz and probably other factors) also contributed to
the overall joy.

The Gray Jays were due to their proximity, and unique calls.  The
opportunity to enjoy their specific features from ten feet away was a rare
treat.

For me, coloration and markings mix tend to leave lasting impressions.  The
first Scarlet Tanager, Blackburnian/Golden-winged/Black and White Warblers,
Ruddy Turnstone and a few others each year linger in my mind.

How about you?

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties