Subject:education opportunity
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:27:40 -0600

Maybe I missed a message somewhere and you already know about this,
but I just read about it this morning.

There's an ongoing National Park Service study of 60 eagle pairs, from
the Apostle Islands and on down along the St. Croix to Hastings, that
has been tracking the presence of lesser-known pollutants in bald
eagles. The chemicals studied include a couple of common, widely-used
flame retardants that were manufactured by 3M. The monitoring group is
holding a workshop at Crex Meadows next Saturday that's designed for
teachers or educators at any level "to draw attention to the riverway
as a learning laboratory through field work, observations, resource
materials, and lesson plan development." To register, you call Ranger
Branda Thwaits at 715-635-8346, ext. 425, but it has to be done by
Tuesday.

(It especially caught my attention, coming on the heels of a recent
article alledging that a particular common flame retardant is
associated with disturbances in the endocrine system.)

Linda Whyte