Subject:Re: What Makes One Bird More Special Than Another?
From:Melissa Hein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:25:23 -0600

For me it can be a number of things...a rare sighting (even more special
if I am lucky enough to find it myself, although I am not above going to
staked out birds), a close encounter, or a favorite bird at an unexpected
time or place.  Sometimes several of those factors converge to make a
truly memorable sighting.

Great Gray Owls are my very favorite bird, and although I have seen a
number of them, one in particular stands out.

It was last winter in the Sax-Zim bog.  I had not seen a Great Gray for
quite some time, and after a long day in the bog I finally decided I had
better head for home, as it was beginning to snow heavily.  Suddenly I saw
a large shape glide out over the road ahead of me and return to a roadside
tree.  It turned out to be a Great Gray, which perched right next to the
road and peered at me with those incredible yellow eyes while I pulled
over and took a couple of quick photos throught the swirling snow.  I
think I smiled all the way home.

Melissa Hein
North Branch