Subject:Re: Owls and People
From:James Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:21:45 -0600

     The problem of posting owl and raptor locations is not new in the birding community. I started birding when I lived on Eastern Long Island, N.Y.. As a new young, enthusiastic birder I spent untold hours cruising Dune Rd. and other beach locations searching for Snowy and Saw-whet Owls. I was lucky enough to find a Saw-whet in some cedars near Jones Beach. I immediately notified members of my Audubon group(Moriches Bay). Since this took place in the pre internet days(early 80's) I called the local RBA and gave directions to the bird. I had no reservations about doing this since I had used this source to observe many staked out rarities. I went back, with several friends, the following afternoon. To my amazement someone had decided to drastically prune the tree that the bird was still roosting in, obviously to facilitate a photo. I couldn't believe my eyes. Since that day I have always struggled with the decision to post locations. Ultimately, I decided to continue communicating with my fellow birders. I have to believe that the people who abuse this info are the small minority. It is clearly a difficult(and personal) decision but as I said I had some very memorable experiences using info from RBA's and I feel a need to return the favor whenever possible. Good Birding to all.
     Jim
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469226/direct/01/