Subject:Re: Owls and People
From:Laura Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:59:11 -0500

Many people are growing increasingly concerned about posting the whereabouts
of rarities because of the existence of ethically-challenged birders. The
Cornell Lab of Ornithology's eBird depends on reports from birders to have
sound, widespread data on bird numbers and distribution, but with iPhone
apps and google tools that give birders instant alerts about the whereabouts
of birds reported to eBird, inordinate pressure has been focused on some
rarities, especially owls. Yesterday, eBird posted their own strategies to
encourage birders to use eBird without this kind of pressure. It's posted
here: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/sensitive_species

Best, Laura Erickson

Ithaca, NY (but more at home in Duluth, MN)

--
--
Laura Erickson

If you've found this information useful, I hope you'll consider supporting
our work on behalf of birds and other wildlife.   In addition to knowing
that you'll be making a difference for conservation, you'll receive  our
award-winning Living Bird magazine and informative BirdScope newsletter four
times a year.  We invite you to join our "force for nature."  To sign up or
watch our video about membership, visit
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/membership or call us at
1-800-843-2473.

For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson