Subject:Re: Northern Hawk Owl, Grand Marais, Cook County
From:Steve Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 Feb 2010 01:40:38 -0600

Hi Jeremy,

the concept of a "somewhat consistent owl" just got me thinking:
-Does the owl know it is consistent?
-If not, what is it, when is not consistent?
-What would an inconsistent owl be?
-Perhaps, if it is inconsistent, it would not "be" at times, and would
flicker in and out of reality.  I believe that I have found birds like that,
which seem to vanish into a bare tree or into bare ground.   I know that I
have seen a whole flock of Lapland Longspurs vanish into the bare ground of
a plowed field.  And Brown Creepers that could call across a dimensional
wrinkle in a tree that filtered out their visibility.  I watched a Buffed
Breasted Sandpiper that was invisible with the exception of its eye.  You
could watch it through the scope, but not locate it with your bare eye.  It
was right in front of us at a distance of fifty feet with nothing obscuring
it.  Through the scope you could see it blink, but could barely make out its
outline.

sweston2@comcast.net