Subject:correction/addendum
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:54:18 -0500

In posting about a hike at Nerstrand Woods SP, I mentioned a Great
Blue Heron rookery. A different vantage point today revealed that
there are 6 nests, of which 4 were occupied today. One act of
copulation was witnessed, so it would seem this is very much an active
rookery.

However, the ranger expressed concern for its vulnerability. I hadn't
considered this when posting.  I assured her I would reiterate here
that it's not necessary to leave the path in order to view the
birds---nor, of course, is it in accordance with the rules to do so.
Self-respecting birders always respect the needs birds and their
environment, especially birds in a condition of fragile safety.

Today we walked on the north side as well. With the appearance of a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucke, we tallied all woodpeckers but the Pileated.
We enjoyed flocks of GC Kinglets and Fox Sparrows, in addition to a
few Brown Creepers and at least 2 Winter Wrens.

Good birding!
Linda Whyte