Subject:Dunlin at Lake Byllesby ~ Dakota County
From:Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:40:29 -0500

This morning at Lake Byllesby in Dakota County I counted 206 shorebirds.  They were skittish and were constantly moving around and Susan Schumacher and I wished we had a couple of bricks in our pockets it was windy.  The lions share definitely went to the Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Pectorals but seeing 3 Dunlin was definitely our highlight for the morning.  There were very few small shorebirds but the Least Sandpiper stood out on the waters edges.  There were many Northern Rough-winged, Barn and Tree Swallows crisscrossing low over the lake vocalizing.  Noticed on the mudflats were American Pipit, and both Franklin's and Bonaparte's Gulls.  All those strong south winds finally brought in more shorebirds and swallows.

Lake Byllesby

From Randolph and MN. State 56 turn east onto Dakota County 88 (292nd St.).  Lake Byllesby is on the south side of the highway.  In .2 mile there is a driveway to your right with limited parking and a gate, do not block the gate.  Walk behind the gate, down the hill, and look for an opening in the trees looking east to the mudflats.  There is also another access another .2 m east of here, pull into the Lake Side Cemetery lot and walk the road to the east and view the lake and mudflats.  A spotting scope would be recommended to see across the lake at the extensive mudflats.

Conny Brunell
Richfield