Subject:common spring birds in Maple Grove
From:Thomas Maiello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:14:48 -0500

Numbers are increasing here.

Gobs (yes gobs) of Ruby-crowned Kinglets
Brown Creepers
A few Yellow-rumped Warblers
Turkey Vultures
Wood Ducks outside my window in the trees (first for this)
Fox Sparrow (1)
White-throated Sparrows
Common Loon (1) ( I think they nested on the lake last year)
Great Horned Owl
Hermit Thrush (1)
Many Juncos still
Many goldfinches still
House Finches
Various normal woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees, pheasants, etc.
At least 2 different soaring raptors (hard to ID from my office window)
Limited water birds - Buffleheads, Scaup, scattered mergansers, and what appeared to be at quite a distance - a Redhead Duck.

Just set up my water feature yesterday so I am expecting great things with this early spring.  A pair of Mallards seem to be eyeing the area around my upper pond as a potential nesting site.  Massive floating mats of down feathers are dancing in the wind. Don't think thats gonna work with yard work coming up.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN