Subject:Woodcock show at Black Dog Preserve
From:Matt Dufort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:59:18 -0500

Hello all,

My wife and I went down to Black Dog Preserve, in Dakota County, this
evening to look for woodcocks.  We were not disappointed, with birds
calling and displaying all around us.  We heard some 10-15 woodcocks and
saw a similar number.  One called 20 feet from us and displayed directly
overhead, while several others flushed from our feet, and one simply ran
10 feet away, remaining in view.  The majority of these were between 1/2
mile and 1 mile from the trailhead, right along the trail.  This site is
accessed from the parking lot on Cliff Rd, about a mile east of I-35W.
Woodcocks started calling around 8:10, and we were able to see several
of them quite well while the light was still good.

Other birds in the area included Snipe, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Rough-winged Swallow, and Brown Thrasher.  As light fell, a number of
Soras were calling from the marshes to the north.

Good birding,

Matt Dufort
Minneapolis