Subject:Douglas County this weekend
From:John P. Ellis
Date:Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:23:03 -0500

My 9 acre prairie burn got scrubbed for lack of humidity on Sat. so I went
birding. Had Song, Chipping, Vesper, Field, Fox, Swamp Sparrows as well as a
couple of Juncos in Douglas. Lake Osakis had a Red-Necked Grebe, 3 Horned
Grebes and 2 Western Grebes as well as the ubiquitous Pied-Bills. (Christina
had 12 W. Grebes today.) Osakis also had several thousands of ducks,
predominantly Scaup and Ringnecks with a loading of Buffleheads and a
smattering of just about everything else except Goldeneye (and Cinnamon
Teal). Did not see any Scoters but didn't really look carefully. Also had
all three Mergansers (not many Commons and none at Osakis.) There were also
a couple of thousand Ring-Billed Gulls sitting out on the (very placid)
water. Had my first (3) Great Egrets, a late Purple Finch, Sapsuckers, many
Loons on territories and 2 Redtails and an Eagle on nests. The best
shorebird habitat in the county (corner of Douglas 56 and 15 and corner of
Douglas 56 and 7) had a smattering of Killdeer and ONE Greater Yellowlegs.
(My property had Woodcock and Snipe.) A beautiful weekend!!