Subject:FOY Rails Polk Cty
From:Kelly Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Apr 2010 00:31:19 -0500

While making a second run of a couple owl routes (Saturday night-
Sunday morning)... I was surprised to detect Virginia Rail at two
locations in Glacial Ridge NWR. Another stop within the refuge
produced Sora. It's the first time I have encountered rails during
the owl monitoring survey period! On the second route, NE of McIntosh
and NW of Foston, I inadvertently disturbed a covey of Sharp-tailed
Grouse roosting at the edge of a small flooded ravine. Very
interesting distress calls.

Kelly Larson
The Bagley Farm -Clearwater
The Bemidji Loft -Beltrami