Subject:Lincoln Cty shorebird spot
From:Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:57:04 -0500

Gislason Lake on the Lincoln/Lyon Cty line (just north of State 19) has been drawn down and has excellent habitat for shorebirds.  From the looks of the area the feds have bought up this square mile and are turning the area into a National Wildlife Refuge.  A control for the lake was apparently installed last year and the lake was down all winter and maybe even last fall.  Who knows?  We entered from the east side of the area crossing a grassy area following some tire tracks to get to the shoreline.  You can walk around the entire lake on the dry lakebed if you wanted to.  But there is no need to do so if you are using a scope.

We were there last Sunday and while there were limited species,  there were good numbers of those species.  For instance some 40 Greater Yellowlegs.  Sorry to not tell everybody till now but we have not had internet access since last Saturday.

Woodcock were displaying in both Lincoln and Lyon counties on the north end of the refuge on private and state land, but visible from the road.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmartin@skypoint.com