Subject:Raptor Species?
From:James Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:49:30 -0500

Hi All, Yesterday at about 2 pm I heard a very vocal group of crows from my home office. I went outside thinking they were mobbing a red tail or owl in the spruces in the side yard. As I left the house I saw the group of 6-8 crows harassing a large raptor. I only got the briefest of looks but the raptor had a crow in it's talons! I jumped into the car and tried to relocate the birds to no avail. I live just 2 short blocks from Lilydale park and the bluffs along the Mississippi in St. Paul and my guess is that they went straight into 1 of the many wooded areas. My question is - What local raptor would take a crow? As I said, all I really got a glimpse of was the crow in the talons as the group disappeared behind the tree line. Just the impression of white(or light-colored) belly. I can't ever remember seeing a bird of prey with a crow. Any ideas as to species?Just curious.