Subject:Re: Raptor Species?
From:dan&erika <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:21:50 -0500

Yesterday I saw a female Sharp-shinned Hawk in hot pursuit of a crow.  The
hawks are nesting in our back woods, and I assumed that the hawk was chasing
the crow off the hawk's territory.  The hawk was not gentle with the crow.

dan tallman

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM, James Griffin <> wrote:

> Hi All, Yesterday at about 2 pm I heard a very vocal group of crows from my
> home office. I went outside thinking they were mobbing a red tail or owl in
> the spruces in the side yard. As I left the house I saw the group of 6-8
> crows harassing a large raptor. I only got the briefest of looks but the
> raptor had a crow in it's talons! I jumped into the car and tried to
> relocate the birds to no avail. I live just 2 short blocks from Lilydale
> park and the bluffs along the Mississippi in St. Paul and my guess is that
> they went straight into 1 of the many wooded areas. My question is - What
> local raptor would take a crow? As I said, all I really got a glimpse of was
> the crow in the talons as the group disappeared behind the tree line. Just
> the impression of white(or light-colored) belly. I can't ever remember
> seeing a bird of prey with a crow. Any ideas as to species?Just curious.
> Hotmail.
> ----
> Archives:

Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau