Subject:Carver County
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:23:00 +0000

Usually I have pretty good luck.    Today, not so much.   Or we are far enough along into spring that my birding standards have changed, and what I considered to be a great day 3 weeks ago is now just kinda lackluster.   The Cinnamon Teal and Blue-winged Teal were nowhere to be seen along Salem Ave.    The farmer was working the fields with his tractor this morning so that may have had something to do with it, and a large construction vehicle went by scaring the few things that were around.   All the Bonaparte's Gulls have left with only a few Ring-billed remaining.   I only noticed a single Greater and a single Lesser Yellowlegs in that area.   In a field along Post Rd. there were 9 Pectoral Sandpipers with a Wilson's Snipe(also seen in field along Cty. Rd. 50).  Rapids Lake MVNWR wasn't overly active this morning(or I just didn't hit the right spot).    3 American Woodcock were right along the loop trail.   I got a 2nd hand report of the first Palm, Orange-crowned Warbler, Lark, and Henslow's Sparrow over the last week at the refuge, but I didn't see any of those today.   Both Yellow-rumped Warbler and Ruby-crowned Kinglet were less numerous this morning.  The only lingering waterfowl in the area were Gadwall, Shoveler, and Lesser Scaup.   More Ruddy Duck have moved onto  Winkler Lake, and there are now 5 Red-necked Grebes on Assumption Lake.  3 Sora were at Spring Peeper Meadow earlier in the week.   Yellow-headed Blackbird returned to Chevalle wetlands earlier in the week and were at Rapids Lake today.  I only saw Eastern Meadowlark at the refuge this morning but a Western Meadowlark has been in a similar location for the past week northeast of Assumption Lake.