Subject:Hubbard Co. Pine Warbler
From:Patrick Beauzay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:34:07 -0500

Hello all,

I had a male Pine Warbler vocalizing in the back yard at our cabin on Long
Lake near Park Rapids at 10:00 this morning. This is my earliest Pine
Warbler sighting ever in Minnesota. I observed and listened to the warbler
for five minutes at a closest distance of about 30 feet. I first heard the
warbler vocalizing and was able to locate it almost right away. Song
reminescent of chipping sparrow, but slower and richer. Field marks were
obvious (yellow throat, yellow breast with light side streaks, dark
cheeks, plain olive back, white wing bars and white tail spots).

Other yard birds of note:

Eastern Phoebe
Hermit Thrush
Song Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Tree Swallows nesting in bluebird box
Eastern Bluebird pair nesting in natural cavity

Good Birding!

Pat Beauzay

Patrick Beauzay
Department of Entomology