Subject:Northern Hawk Owl in Aitkin County
From:Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Apr 2010 02:40:09 -0400

 I was surprised by a Northern Hawk Owl flying in front of my face at Cty Rds 18 and 5 in Aitkin County.  It was dusk and I'd stopped to look for the Short-eared Owls reported earlier.  The owl stopped at the pole in front of me, then continued east along 18.  No other owls.
Nothing else of note, but fun for me:
2 Pine Warlbers (m & f)
1 Hermit Thrush on Cty 18, pausing in my headlights before moving to the trees to start singing
American Woodcocks peenting along County 18 between Hebron Cemetary and Pietz's Road
Northern Goshawk molting into adult plumage

Linda Sparling