Subject:[mou-rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, April 29, 2010
From:Jeanie Joppru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:02:32 -0600

Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Harris's Sparrow
Scarlet Tanager
Yellow-headed Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: April 29, 2010
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru@q.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, April 29,
2010 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This last week has been a real taste of spring, but we must not assume
that the cool weather is over. As I compile this report , we are getting
the first real spring rain so everything is turning green as if painted.

Connie Cox reported from Itasca State Park on April 26 that she saw a
pair of SCARLET TANAGERS along Main Park Drive.

I went to Agassiz NWR in Marshall County on April 25 where I saw many
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and RED-NECKED GREBES. I found the water levels lower
than usual for this early in the year, but there was a good
representation of ducks, a few AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS and
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS. Also present in small numbers were MARBLED
GODWITS, WILSON'S SNIPE, and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS.

In Polk County, Bruce Flaig reported PIED-BILLED GREBE, RED-NECKED
GREBES, and , in his yard, a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH on April 26. Donna
and Leon Thoreson reported BROWN THRASHER on April 25, and RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLET on April 26. The sparrows arrived on April 29 including CHIPPING
SPARROW, LARK SPARROW, SAVANNAH SPARROW, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, SWAMP
SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW,and HARRIS'S SPARROW.

Dennis Weisenborn observed SEDGE WREN, CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and SONG
SPARROW in Moorhead, Clay County, on April 29.

Patrick Beauzay saw a PINE WARBLER at Long Lake near Park Rapids in
Hubbard County on April 24. Other species seen there included EASTERN
PHOEBE, TREE SWALLOW, EASTERN BLUEBIRD, HERMIT THRUSH, SONG SPARROW,
VESPER SPARROW, and CHIPPING SPARROW. Barb and Dennis Martin saw a
BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER on 191st Ave a half mile north of CR 95 on April
24.

Dan and Sandy Thimgan reported that two SURF SCOTERS had been reported
on Jewett Lake in Otter Tail County on April 26, but no one was able to
relocate them so it is assumed that they have left. On April 23, the
Thimgan's reported PURPLE MARTIN, SWAMP SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW,
and YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD; on April 26, they saw LESSER SCAUP and
CANVASBACK, while on April 28, there were RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET,
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW, and FIELD SPARROW. RED-NECKED GREBE was seen on
April 28 in Otter Tail County. Alma Ronningen reported YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLER on April 27, and on the 28th, YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, and
LINCOLN'S SPARROW.

Brad and Dee Ehlers mentioned that there are hundreds of GREAT EGRETS
and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS building nests at Grotto Lake across from
the Dairy Queen in Fergus Falls.

Thanks to Alma Ronningen, Brad and Dee Ehlers, Connie Cox, Dan and Sandy
Thimgan, Barb and Dennis Martin, Dennis Weisenborn, Leon and Donna
Thoreson, and Patrick Beauzay for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru@q.com <blocked::mailto:ajjoppru@q.com>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, May 6, 2010.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN