Subject:Crosby Park, St. Paul, today
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:58:59 -0500

Crosby was awash is White-throated Sparrows this afternoon. They
seemed to have dropped down out of the wind, right onto the river path
in front of me, all of them singing for several moments. Some of them
sounded a bit "off", and I tried to check each one I could, admittedly
in hopes of a Harris' (White-crowned would be nice, too!).  They
quickly went to ground to forage, disappearing into the woods just at
the east edge of the evergreens. A few more were found by the
backwater under the 35 E bridge.

Also present there, was one solitary sandpiper. It spooked off the
shoreline and flew to a log in the middle of the water, where its
bobbing-tail walk gave me good looks at its greenish legs and lovely
spots. Then it took off, flashing its tail, with dark center and
lighter outer feathers.

On the NE corner of the Shepard-Elway intersection was the Find of the
day, foraging in the oak woods on the hill among some White-throated
sparrows: an r female E. Towhee. She left her ground-scratching to
perch where I could admire her rich brown and white, and bright russet
plumage.

Linda Whyte