Subject:Carver County
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:29:00 +0000

This morning at Rapids Lake MVNWR there were already 4 male Yellow Warbler that seemed to be establishing territory in previously used habitat.   I heard a probable 5th that was singing a broken song.  Also at the refuge this morning were 2 silent Clay-colored Sparrows, 1 with a flock of White-throated Sparrows and the 2nd following a pair of Chipping Sparrows.  2 Lark Sparrows were at a couple of their usual spots at the refuge,  and a Grasshopper Sparrow was singing from the grassland a couple weeks early, though he was not in a spot they normally are.   While Carver Park has had Blue-gray Gnatcatchers for almost 2 weeks, I saw my first Gnatcatchers at the refuge today.  Also at the refuge this morning were a Lesser Yellowlegs, a couple Sora, Bald Eagle, Cooper's Hawk, Broad-winged Hawk, Great Horned Owl, Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow(moving into the farmhouse), House Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and Yellow-rumped Warbler(not as many as a couple days ago).  There were 3 Forster's Terns at the lake yesterday, but I didn't notice them today.  The flies, mosquitoes, and ticks are all pretty bad.