Subject:American Woodcocks in Washington County
From:Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:31:42 -0400

I've seen and heard American Woodcocks in 2 Washington County locations 3/30 and 3/31:
Lake Elmo County Park - main road in to T, turn right and go towards the fishing pier.  From the road I heard at least one calling to the right.
South of Big Marine Lake, between 1.0 and 1.1 north of County 7 (Square Lake Rd) on May Av. N.

Big Marine County Park is a relatively new Washington County Park.  I checked it out 3/31.  It's small but has some nice habitat and offers good viewing locations to scan Big Marine Lake.  I saw a few migrants:  Tree Swallows, A decent mix of ducks, Common Loon, American White Pelicans, Fox Sparrows.  The park's entrance is on Manning Av. just north of County 4.

Linda Sparling