Subject:MIA- ducks
From:Randy Frederickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Apr 2010 11:03:31 -0500

With the majority of waterfowl migration behind us, observations from
Kandiyohi county for spring 2010 suggest duck migration was down 50-75%.
Personally, I think we were down about 70% from a "normal" year and by far
the fewest numbers of all species I have ever seen.

Goose  migration is always fickle, but I only saw a few flocks of white
fronteds and never saw a snow or ross' goose all spring in our county,
though it is still possible to see flocks of predominantly first year birds.

Swan and Canada goose numbers were down some, but would still fit into the
low end of a "normal" spring migration.

Spring temperatures and snow melt came almost 2 weeks earlier to the eastern
1/3 of the state, so I'm wondering..were there areas of MN that saw
substantially more waterfowl than usual?  Please share your observations
with me and I will summarize for the group.

I did travel out to the Wheaton area on 3/21, with weather patterns
favorable, I should have hit the goose migration there near peak.  I saw
about 45,000 geese that day with about 75%  being white fronted, 8-10% snow,
ross.  So by western Minnesota standards, bird numbers there were rather
weak also.

Randy Frederickson

Willmar