Subject:Northern Clearwater Cty (long)
From:Kelly Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Apr 2010 14:43:50 -0500

Birded 14 glorious hours yesterday, 4/2.
55 species, missed a few common sp - Goldfinch, both nuthatches, D.
Woodpecker

Started the day in a Sharp-tailed Grouse blind at 6:30 and had a
remarkable show. A few individuals displayed so close to the blind
they were not visible- directly under the windows!

Area rice paddies and WMA wetlands held a good variety of waterfowl
though numbers of most species were low and Tundra Swan numbers were
down from last week. New arrivals...
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Blue-winged-Teal
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Pintails and Goldeneyes have returned after being absent from the
paddies last week.

Other FOY sightings in Clearwater county...
Pied-billed Grebe - 2
Great Blue Heron - 1
Turkey Vulture - 4
Killdeer - a few
Marbled Godwit - 4
Wilson Snipe - 3
Belted Kingfisher - 1
Northern Flicker - 1/2 dozen mixed into almost every large Robin
flock I came across
Eastern Phoebe -1
Northern Shrike -1 (not FOY, but always a great bird to watch!)
Black-billed Magpie (ditto) - very active and found in at least ten
locations
Eastern Bluebird -9
Fox Sparrow - protected wooded areas were hopping with them!
Eastern Meadowlark -1
Western Meadowlark - a few

I can not remember a time when I have experienced a heavier movement
of Juncos. I had to ride the brakes down some stretches of brushy
wetland road to avoid impact. Wood Frogs and Boreal Chorus Frogs are
singing in a few places but we need rain to fill the ponds and
ephemeral pools!

Kelly Larson
The Bagley Farm -Clearwater
The Bemidji Loft -Beltrami