Subject:Nebraska cranes, etc.
From:Liz Stanley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:42:24 -0500

Just returned from Rowe Sanctuary
(http://www.rowesanctuary.org/photo%20blinds.htm) in Nebraska where I
spent a night in a photo blind. For anyone who has never been there, I
highly recommend it. The spectacle of many thousands of migrating sandhill
cranes is not something to be missed, and I'm not aware of anywhere else
you'd have the opportunity to actually spend the night in the midst of
them. You can also do group sunset/sunrise tours in their larger blinds,
if you don't want to spend the night in a 4'x8' plywood box. This was my
second year going to the photo blinds, and the experience never ceases to
amaze. I can't think of a better way to have spent my Easter eve/morning.
I took along my Canon 1D Mk III and 500 with 1.4x, 40D and 100-400, and my
G10. See my crane photos here: http://www.pbase.com/gymell/rowe_2010_1

It's really hard to capture the magnitude of the experience in photos, so
check out this short YouTube video I took if you want to hear what it all
sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/gymell#p/a/u/0/MAxb7DnwAiM

Also I stopped in Lincoln where a fellow photographer took me out to a
good location for pelicans: http://www.pbase.com/gymell/other_ne

Along the way, I saw many kestrels and robins were everywhere.

Back home, the bluebirds have been busy building their nest:
http://www.pbase.com/gymell/image/123219355 . Today I saw a pair of
cowbirds in the yard, and there are still many juncos. Last week I saw the
one-legged fox sparrow that had overwintered in my yard.

--
Liz Stanley
Bloomington, MN