Subject:Cobb River WPA and vicinity
From:Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Apr 2010 05:33:19 -0700

Hey birders,

I was out once over the weekend and again yesterday in the vicinity of Cobb River WPA in Blue Earth County.  While I'm having problems finding many waterfowl in a lot of areas, there appears to be no shortage at the WPA and Perch Lake.  There's been a nice mix of dabblers and divers.  Saturday I counted nearly 200 Green-winged Teal in two flocks.  Yesterday there were many more Northern Shovelers and Blue-winged Teal than Green-wings.  I also had an early Pectoral Sandpiper and the numbers of Greater Yellowlegs went from 3 on Saturday to 8 yesterday.  Shorebird habitat is best on the east side of the dead end road that goes north from CR4 (597 Ln).  Perch Lake had over 100 Canvasbacks on Saturday.

Another area to check is CR168 and CR169.  There is a large wetland complex here that has had several ducks (though many were too distant to really identify).

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN