Subject:Goshawk, Sundry Short Thoughts
From:Pastor Al Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:02:58 -0500

Northern Goshawk this morning in southern Mille Lacs County (CR 7, three
miles north of Sherburne border), looked like he/she was on a mission north.

Last week's question about listing produced many interesting replies (30+),
hope to tabulate soon.  Life birds won hands down over other options (like
state, county, yard).  However, one observation intrigued me, the birder is
now motivated by "life events", such as observations of new behavior.

This post has fine tuned my birding a bit - noted a Song Sparrow today whose
song was quite different - warm up de de de - then, instead of bursting into
song, it was content with a very short "hiccup", followed by an ending de de
de, same pace but almost an octave lower than the warm up.  It contrasted
sharply with other song sparrows around it.

Couple of days ago noted a mallard couple that was very happy sitting
relatively deep in a coniferous stand - until I arrived of course - then
they crashed through the branches to try another environ.

Migration progresses, but few new species in the area since Monday.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties