Subject:Nerstand Big Woods State Park, 4/10/10
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 11 Apr 2010 02:07:56 +0000

My husband Steve and I hiked 5 miles today and found at least 9 Red-Headed Woodpeckers dispersed throughout the park. In fact, we saw or heard all 7 woodpecker species on the park's bird list. Pileated WP was heard but not seen. Also notable was a group of about 2 dozen Hermit Thrushes foraging west of the waterfall along the Beaver Trail. And my first-of-year Brown Creeper (only one seen.) There were 4 Great Blue Herons on nests in the rookery along the Fox Trail.

For wildflower watchers: trout lilies are mostly not in bloom yet with a few exceptions. Other wildflowers are a little more ahead and are providing a nice show in spots.

Jeanne Tanamachi
Lauderdale MN