Subject:Northern Cardinal, Nobles Cty.
From:Brian & Risa Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:30:14 -0500

Hi,

I birded in Nobles county today and I thought it significant to report that I found a male Northern Cardinal on the west edge of Worthington.  In my experience this is a rare county bird as it's only the second one that I've ever found.  For anyone interested in trying for it, I found it on the south side of the road at 2675 Fox Farm Rd, which runs west of Cty. Rd. 10 (Fox Farm Rd. is also 260th St.)  There's good habitat there with a creek and both conifer and deciduous trees.  There was also a Red-breasted Nuthatch and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet at this same spot.  Also, I found a flock of 20-30 Bonaparte's Gulls at a small lake on Tripp Ave., between 140th and 150th St.  Ducks were abundant and they seemed to be at almost every lake, marsh or flooded field I checked.  There was a single Cackling Goose on Lake Okabena, mixed in with a few Canada Geese.

Good birding,

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye, MN