Subject:Roseville Osprey Nest
From:Kathy Confer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:04:20 -0500

It seems that a Canada goose is nesting on the osprey platform near
Lexington Ave and County Rd C2 in northern Roseville. I viewed it on
Thursday, Friday, and today. I spoke with a woman on Thursday who said that
she had seen the ospreys swoop down and try to force the goose out of the
nest, to no avail. When I arrived today, there was a man at the base of the
platform pole; he hit it a few times, and the goose flew away. I hung around
for about 45 minutes to see if the ospreys might appear (they had been seen
in the afternoon hanging out in the trees across the wetland from the
platform). Instead, the goose flew back and landed on the platform, then
climbed into the nest! Right before I left, another man went down and hit
the pole, and the goose flew off again.
Is it unusual for a goose to occupy an osprey nest? It certainly looks
bizarre.

Kathy Confer
Near Lake Josephine,
In Arden Hills, MN