Subject:Smith's Longspur at Nicollet Co. WMA this afternoon
From:[log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 12 Apr 2010 01:47:25 +0000

Several of us saw a lone Smith's Longspur this afternoon approx. 2:30 pm at the previously mentioned location in the Wildlife Management Area 1 mile north of Nicollet on Hwy. 111 in Nicollet County. We went past the SE corner of the cornfield into the next prairie-like area, which is not visible from the parking lot. When we looked towards the water immediately to the south, the bird was foraging in a small area along the shoreline. Two other possible Smith's Longspurs landed in the plowed field adjacent to the WMA and were lost to sight.

Jeanne Tanamachi