Subject:Great-tailed Grackle/Jackson Cty
From:Dennis and Barbara Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2010 15:05:33 -0500

Have looked for Great-tailed Grackles in late March in past years with no success until yesterday.  Found a single bird seemingly on a territory in Pletz-Klima WMA.  This is on the west side of Hwy 71, 1/2 miles south of 760th St.  (Note terrible road driving in.)  There were also 4 migrants in the trees at the corner of Hwy 71 and Cty Rd 4 east.  I presume migrants as they don't usually nest in this specific area and don't nest in trees.

Also of interest were the 2 Trumpeter Swans in Minneota WMA, 1/2 miles south of Cty Rd 4, 1 mile west of State Hwy 71.  One was an adult and the other seemed to be a second summer (think that is what you call a bird hatched last summer.)  Presumably these are offspring of the Iowa releases although they had no obvious bands.  Wonder if they will nest in this location or if there was already a 3rd bird on a nest, in the cattails, that we couldn't see.

In other areas found a Winter Wren in Bright Lake Cty Park in Martin County and Woodcock were calling at the Minneopa State Park prairie last night.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
Shorewood, MN
dbmartin@skypoint.com