Subject:Speaking of sapsuckers..., etc., Dakota Co.
From:Jim Mattsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:53:07 -0500

At Miesville Ravine RP this morning I tallied 27 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, the second-highest spring migration count for a single locale. These included detections by sight, vocals, and drumming. I assume most of these are migrants. They are no doubt responding to the massive tree mortality from a wind storm 2 years ago. Five other woodpecker species were also recorded (no Red-headed).

Lake Byllesby had a large increase in ducks (~700) and other waterbirds since yesterday. Most interesting were:

Bonaparte's Gull - 12
Horned Grebe - 33
Ruddy Duck - 250
Lesser Scaup - 300