CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2010

Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 11:47:55 -0700
My inclination is to use subresolution size beads
(< 200 nm) of different colors. As Jim P. pointed
out the z-res. is easily twice as bad as the
theoretical values. Further, objectives that are
nominally of the same high NA (1.4 and above) can
yield quite different z-resolutions even factors
of 2. In addition, the z-axis PSF can be very
asymmetric, which becomes obvious when using
sub-res. beads and may be less obvious using very
large beads. Making sure you use the correct
coverslip thickness and be aware that the z-res.
is strongly dependent on the mediums RI.
Depending on the amount of SA of you particular
objective it will also get worse as you focus
deeper into the sample, particularly as you get
more than 10 um from the coverslip. Some
deconvolution software can at least partially
correct for the z-axis spread caused by SA if
good calibration data is available. It just
depends on how fussy you want to be.

Mario

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.