Subject:[mou-net] Bell's Vireo-Mpls
From:Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 27 May 2010 09:00:58 -0600

The Bell's vireo is back at its usual location on the west side of Lake Nokomis, Mpls.

I could hear it singing from 100 yards away! You have to admire a mite of a bird that can be heard over wind and airplane noise!

Directions: West side of Lake Nokomis "Lagoon" (west of Cedar Ave.), along the walking path. There is a bench and a huge burned-out willow stump. The bird was in the cottonwoods and willows behind the stump.

Its call is easy to recognize: If a warbling vireo says "if I see you I will seize you and will squeeze you 'til you pop!", then the Bell's vireo fast harsh call sure sounds like it's saying "I'm in a really really really bad mood!"

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis