Subject:[mou-net] White-faced Ibis(es?), Nicollet County
From:Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 1 May 2010 17:38:22 -0600

Around 4:00 this afternoon Chad Gustafson and I flushed two ibises
along with a very large flock of ducks from the back pond at the WMA 1
mile north of the town of Nicollet on the east side of Hwy. 111. These
birds were only seen in flight, and it was only after looking at a
couple photos I was able to capture of the birds that I was able to
make an identification. One of the birds was clearly an adult
breeding-plumaged White-faced Ibis, i.e. it had obvious white
feathering surrounding the eye in addition to a red eye and pinkish
facial skin. The second bird was unidentifiable in the photo. I have
uploaded a photo of the two birds (cropped extensively) to the
"Recently Seen" page. The bird in the upper right of the photo is the
White-faced, and the trailing bird in the lower left is the
unidentified individual. While many of the ducks came back to land in
the pond during the next hour, the ibises did not and we were unable
to relocate them in searching the area.

Also of note today were a Marbled Godwit along with a smattering of
other shorebirds at Cobb River WPA in southern Blue Earth County and a
very early (singing) Warbling Vireo near Ottawa Township in Le Sueur
County.

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County