Subject:[mou-net] Red-headed Woodpecker - Minneapolis
From:Diana Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 May 2010 09:21:16 -0600

This morning at 7:00, along Minnehaha Creek east of Lake Hiawatha, a red-headed woodpecker flew toward me, passed right in front of me, and flew off into the neighborhood near E 46th St & 32nd Ave S.

The red head and solid black and white wings were clearly visible. It did not call.

I've never seen a red-head in this area before, although there have been recent sightings from Bloomington and St. Paul.

I haven't posted other observations lately because it's mostly been the same migrants others have posted. This morning was slow for warbler-diversity and numbers along Minnehaha Creek, but thick with Swainson's warblers, least flycatchers, and Tennessee warblers.

Best recent sighting was a male blackburnian warbler Deb Diko and I saw a couple of mornings ago in the drizzle. It fed and sang from low in a green ash for over 30 minutes.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis