Subject:[mou-net] Watonwan BIG Day 5/15/2010 + Snowy Egret
From:Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 May 2010 09:33:12 -0600

Hey birders,

Andrew Krenz and I decided to do a BIG day in his home county of Watonwan this year.  We ended up with 139 species highlighted by a Snowy Egret.

The Snowy Egret was in a flooded field at the corner of CR58 and CR15 just north of Highway 60.  There were several shorebirds in there as well with Wilson's Phalaropes, Short-billed Dowitchers, several yellowlegs, etc.  The bird was initially found around 10am or so and was still there at 8:00pm when we checked the pond again.

We also found Eurasian Collared-Dove in Madelia (2 birds) and the little town of Oden (1 bird) in the southwestern part of the county.

Other highlights:

Eared Grebe on Fedji Lake in the company of a Western Grebe and a female Bufflehead.

Red-necked Grebe on Bergdahl Lake just to the northwest of Fedji Lake

Franklin's Gull on a small lake northeast of Butterfield (forgot the name)

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN