Subject:[mou-net] Henslow's Sparrows, Grey Cloud Dunes, Washington County
From:Julian Sellers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 May 2010 12:02:50 -0600

This morning I heard and saw two Henslow's Sparrows at Grey Cloud Dunes SNA in southern Washington County.  From the parking lot at the end of 110th Street, start toward the river, but turn onto the trail that angles to the northwest, staying on the mostly flat land on top of the hill.  After you go past the dense grove of small oaks, continue through a line of medium-sized box elder trees until you start seeing four-foot-tall dead growth from last summer on the right (maybe white or  yellow sweet clover).  One Henslow's was singing in this area.  Another (probably more than one) was considerably farther along the same path.  When you have gone far enough that you can see the small underpass under the railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill, and when you're within about 50 yards of a green steel post with the top six inches painted white, there's a large area of the same kind of dead growth from last summer on the right.  A Henslow's was singing from pretty far into this growth, but visible and easily heard.

You'd need a scope for a good look at these birds.  Stay on the path unless you really like ticks.  You'll get plenty of them on the path.

Lots of Grasshopper Sparrows were singing, Field Sparrows were plentiful, and I saw a few Vesper Sparrows.  I did not find any Lark Sparrows, but I did not stay long in the area where I think they hang out.  I saw Orchard Orioles in the trees north of the little railroad underpass.

Julian
St. Paul