Subject:[mou-net] Red-headed Woodpecker, Cherokee Park, St. Paul
From:linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 May 2010 20:55:56 -0600

During a survey of a BBA Priority Block this afternoon, one Red-headed
Woodpecker was found foraging in oak trees on the bluff-top of
Cherokee Heights. The trees are on the west side of the large ravine
at the end of Delaware St., where it intersects Baker.

On the east end of Crosby Farm Park, the Cliff Swallows have moved
back into their nesting colony under the 35E bridge. To my surprise,
they have a different species neighboring among them: House Finches
appeared to be adopting some of the old, unoccupied nests, whether to
scavenge for food or to brood I couldn't tell. However, I did see an
outright battle break out between two male house finches who were
investigating the same nest.

Meanwhile, in the backwater beside the bridge, two Spotted Sandpipers
were engaging in the more peaceful behavior of mating.
Down-river, at the end of the old power plant island, the osprey held
watch on the nesting platform, standing briefly to either re-arrange
materials, or perhaps turn eggs.

Some of the migrants may be tardy, but other birds seem to know it's spring.
Linda Whyte