CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2010

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:02:34 -0600
Birefringent...  gummy bears!?  Will the wonders of optics never cease? @:-)
It makes sense if you think about it though; it's a gel (sort-of) so
if you put stress on its structure one way or another you will get an
order preference.

Regarding yanking crystals out of laser pointers, that's a good way to
get a cheap doubling crystal, but if you just want a test sample my
'grow crystals on a coverslip' method is a lot less work then trying
to pry the tiny dot of crystal out of one of those pointers.  KTP,
KDP, and BBO are all good doublers.  I use a commercial BBO crystal
that cost about a grand ($1k) to double our Ti:Saph now and again.  We
do fluorescence spectroscopy with it.  By tuning the Ti:Saph and
doubling it I can get ~350-520nm light.  The key thing about the BBO
crystal is it is optimal for this kind of work so I get a pretty good
conversion efficiency out of it.  A 'scrounged' crystal may not work
as well.

Craig