Subject:[mou-net] Whimbrel was present late Wednesday afternoon, July 28.
From:Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:28:34 -0600

 Many observers saw the earlier-reported Whimbrel this afternoon on both sides of Blaine Av. just south of 200th or Cty 66 in SE Dakota County, aka Jirik Sod Farms.  It was last seen shortly after 6:00 p.m. (of course minutes before I arrived).  I and several others stayed until sunset and the bird did not return to the area.  Several people scoured the fields right off 200th, since that was the direction the bird flew, but to no avail.  There are two flooded fields providing good habitat for the shorebirds.

As consolation there was a nice mix of shorebirds:
up to 8 Buff-breasted Sandpipers - The number kept changing, now you see us, now you don't.  At one point I saw one up to its knees in water and later all 8 bathing.
1 Short-billed Dowitcher
2 Stilt SPs
2 (at least) Baird's SPs
Least and Semipalmated SPs