Subject:[mou-net] Carver County Acadian Flycatcher
From:John Cyrus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:20:43 -0600

An Acadian Flycatcher was at Chaska Lake MVNWR this afternoon.  He was
in the wooded area near the Chaska Athletic Park where I have always
expected them to be(especially since Kim Eckert's book says that they
are there on occasion) but until today had not ever found any.
Initially,  he was right along the trail where it runs into the stream
that runs just to the east of the lake.    As he fed, he slowly made
his way west into the more heavily wooded area.   The water has dropped
just enough so it is no longer running over the trail as it drains from
Chaska Lake, so I was able to make some progress into the unit. 3 young
Eastern Wood-Pewee were still enjoying the ease of youth being fed by
their parents.   Based on their size I don't think the adults will feed
them much longer.   Both Sedge and Marsh Wrens were vocal and
cooperative this afternoon.   Their territories are separated by the
trail with Marsh staying on the lake side and Sedge on the opposite.
An immature Yellow, a couple Redstart, and some Yellowthroat were the
only warbler, but that isn't all that surprising.    A Warbling Vireo
near Chaska Lake had his fall plumage.   At Chevalle wetlands this
evening there were a couple Spotted Sandpiper, a Semipalmated Plover, a
Solitary Sandpiper, and a Greater Yellowlegs.