Subject:[mou-net] Afton State Park - Henslow's Sparrows
From:Matt Dufort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:59:08 -0600

Hello all,

I spent a few hours yesterday evening at Afton State Park.  Most
interesting find was about 4-6 Henslow's Sparrows singing in the prairie
restoration near the visitor center. I know Henslow's have been present
at Afton both this year and last, but I think they've mostly been in the
prairie area in the northwest part of the park.  The birds I heard and
saw yesterday were in the southeast part of the park, easily accessed
from the trail by the visitor center.  Several were audible from the
park road and the first parking lot.

Other birds in the park included a Black-billed Cuckoo, many Towhees,
Clay-colored Sparrow, Sedge Wren, Wood Thrush, etc.

While at Afton a week ago on a walk (without binoculars), I heard
several interesting but odd songs. One sounded most like an odd Magnolia
Warbler, and the other sounded a lot like a Prothonotary. However, I was
not able to see either bird that day, and I wasn't able to locate either
of them yesterday. I raise this mostly because I think Afton has a lot
of potential for interesting breeding birds (as evidenced by the Chat
and Summer Tanager present last summer).

Good birding,
Matt Dufort