Subject:Good hawk migration today
From:Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:17:56 -0500

Hi everyone,
  In a span of 4 hours, from 10 am to 1 pm, Gene Bauer and I, at times, observed some overwhelming hawk migration from the parking lot of River Bend Nature Center. In that time, we counted no less than 790 Broad-winged Hawks moving south. The biggest kettle I counted contained at least 183 birds. I would guess this to be a very conservative estimate as there were times when we got distracted from counting to observe something unusual. I know at one point, I totally gave up on two very large kettles of Broadies and didn't relocate them when I re-tried.

  Other things were also moving today:
106 Turkey Vultures (one group of 43 birds)
19 Sharp-shinned Hawks
97 Blue Jays (I only counted those that were migrating south in groups)
Gene had a Swainson's Hawk which I missed.

  In addition to watching raptors, we also checked the sod farms on Hwy. 60 & Ibson Ave where I had previously reported Buff-breasted Sandpipers. There, we had 3 American Golden Plovers. (No BBSA's)

  Also of note, we had 8 species of warbler including this season's first Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers.
1 Brown Creeper
And several times I heard Pine Siskins flying over.

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN
greathorneddave@hotmail.com