Subject:Hawk Ridge Boat Trip
From:Michael Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:46:05 -0700

Well today was the 4th time I birded this fall season.  When you have older kids
in multiple sports you never have time to bird.

The boat was filled with 24 birders and winds from the west.

Highlights:

Lesser Black-backed Gull ( adult ) By looking at the photo in "Recently Seen" on
the MOU site this is most likely the same individual we saw today loafing among
thousands of gulls at Gull Bluff at WI Pt.

Parasitic Jaeger seen briefly by Sparky Stensaas ( co-leader ) fighting with a
gull near the first parking lot at WI Pt.

Franklin's Gull ( adult winter ) flying with some Bonaparte's gull at the tip of
Minnesota Pt. on the bayside.  This would be the 3rd Franklin's Gull this week
seen in the Duluth area.

Other birds:

Bonaparte's Gull in small numbers ( 2's and 3's )
Common Tern ( 2-5 individuals )
Common Loon ( 5 or so )
Sanderling ( 10 on the MN rocky jetty at the tip of MN Pt. )
Lesser Scaup
American Wigeon
Black Duck

Good day to be out.