Subject:Re: Swifts, Nighthawks, Dragonflies: Lauderdale MN 08/31/10
From:Karlyn Eckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:55:55 -0500

I was in the vicinity (Energy Park Drive and Raymond Avenue) about 8pm. I
too saw many nighthawks flying low and feeding close to the ground. I also
saw a flock of about forty American White Pelicans flying southbound across
a spectacular sunset.

On Sep 1 2010, jtanamachi@COMCAST.NET wrote:

> Yesterday evening we observed a mini-migration spectacle from our home
> in Lauderdale. First we saw and heard approx. 200 Chimney Swifts
> circling over our house. As we looked closer with binoculars, we could
> see many dragonflies (sorry, we don't know what kind--Green Darners?)
> moving amongst the swifts. Next came several flights of Common
> Nighthawks, totaling perhaps 60. Most of the birds moved on after 20
> minutes or so but the dragonfly horde grew larger and lower until at any
> given moment you could easily see dozens streaming quickly past on a
> southbound wind. The flight tapered off around dark. We watched them go
> past for approx. 45 minutes. We have no idea how many thousands streamed
> by but it was quite a sight to see.
>Jeanne & Steve Tanamachi
>Lauderdale MN (near the State Fair grounds)

Karlyn Eckman
Senior Research Associate
Water Resources Center
173 McNeal Hall